Completed in 1638, the fortress site contains three distinct but complementary elements that bear witness to the maritime, military and missionary history of Macau. Atop the raised fortress stands Guia Chapel, which was initially founded by Clarist nuns who lived at the building before going on to set up the Convent of St Clare. Elaborate frescoes on the chapel’s interior carry depictions of themes inspired by both Western and Chinese religion and mythology, embodying Macau’s multiculturalism. Guia Lighthouse, built in 1865, also stands within the fortress grounds and is the first modern lighthouse on the Chinese coast.
Bus routes nearby: 2, 2A, 6A, 12, 17, 18, 18A, 18B, 19, 22, 23, 25, 25X, 32, 56